“Under the Moonlight”, Jimmy Roland

“Under the Moonlight”, Jimmy Roland, John Lennon Records, 2000

I am reviewing a six song sampler here of the full release of “Under the Moonlight,” but it is enough to give an idea of the seventeen track full CD. Blandness seems to be a problem with these songs. It would not be so bad that the melodies do not stand out at all, but the lyrics are clichéd enough to be unbelievable.

Over the usual sampling, “Oh! Ramona” has the standard “Don’t you want to give it to me?” and also “Oh Oh Ramona” (repeated four times per chorus), as well as “I think I’m gonna/Marry you Ramona.” The only saving grace on this and the other five tracks are the three female background vocalists who add a bit of life.

“My Jamaica” veers towards reggae, but “Jamaica” stands for a woman who has done Roland wrong, which he sings about with couplets like “If you want to be with me/Show a little responsibility.”

The only tolerable song is “Power Light,” with an uplifting message about looking to the future and so on.

The last is “Broken Hearts,” which has deep thoughts that include: “A star shoots across the sky/I wish that I knew why/You're not here with me tonight/I realize I'm caught up in the wind/I need you back again/I need you by my side.” I cannot add anything to that.

- Dave Howell

Popular Posts