“Miles Away”, Jen Gloeckner

“Miles Away”, Jen Gloeckner, self-produced, 2003

“Miles Away” is a CD that generally succeeds, although it has a slow start. Gloeckner’s first two tracks drag, with just her vocals over her elementary guitar and keyboard playing. Fortunately, other musicians back her by the third cut, including cellist Kameron Cole. Her songs are not bad, except they are consistently gloomy.

The right accompaniment helps them a great deal. A saxophone on “Glimpse” adds a bit of noir/jazz feel. Flute and percussion on “Clear the Sand” give it a nice Middle Eastern atmosphere. Gloeckner’s mandolin, Cole’s cello, percussion, and flute create a full sound on “Mountains.”

On the other hand, with just her guitar, over tracked vocals, and a cello, “Glue” does not have much to offer. Particularly with mundane lyrics that begin: “I miss you but I knew I would/I’d kiss you if I thought I could/I need something that means something to me.”

Many of her songs work even with minimal backing, however. “Prodigal Son” and “Mountains” use Gloeckner’s guitar and spare percussion and violin to create an air of mystery. “Otherside” is a beautiful work well supported by simple piano. “Wasting Time” is also appealing with just acoustic guitar and a hand drum.

Gloeckner has enough skill as a singer/songwriter that she should appeal to fans of this genre, especially those who are into world music.

Jen Gloeckner's site

- Dave Howell

(This article first appeared in the SouthBound Beat music site.)







Popular Posts